Thursday, December 31, 2009

Flank Steak with Stuffing

This is one of my ALL TIME favorite meals. I would beg my mom for days to make this. Same with my brother and now .... its one of my husband and daughters favorite meals. Guess you really cant go wrong with this meal! I always thought it was major labor intensive, but the first time I made it I was really suprised how easy it was .... And as usual I serve with rice (the dressing and they sauce goes great over almost anything. My mother always served with canned green beans (ick) but its good with frozen veggies!

FLANK STEAK 1 flank steak, about 2 pounds
Sauce:
1 c. hot water
1 bouillion cube
1 T instant coffee
1 T red wine vinegar
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
This is what the original recipe says. I usually use 3 – 4 c. of water and increase the rest proportionally, because I like lots of juices over the rice.

Stuffing:
6 slices bread, torn up
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 tsp. onion salt 1 or 2 eggs, beaten
1 stick butter or margarine, melted

*our family loves the stuffing so much we usually make double (once in awhile triple) .. any extra wrap up in a cheese cloth and just pop it in the pan next to the steak cooking.

Mix ingredients together. Place the flank steak flat, with 4 pieces of string or twine UNDER it. Lay the A string down first, then the B strings on it, then the flank steak on top of that. Place the stuffing on top of the steak, roll it up from B to B', and tie the strings, the B strings first and then the A string.

Salt the bottom of a large frying pan generously, place the rolled-up steak in the pan and sear on all sides. Sprinkle the top of the steak with paprika and dried parsley flakes, if desired (I don't). Add the sauce and cook over slow heat, just at the simmer, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Serve with rice and green beans.

Diebetic Meal - (check with your doctor for your guildlines!)
Measure out your protien 1 oz cooked meat is one serving (for dinner I am allowed 3 servings of protien so that 3 oz cooked for me)
The stuffing is a starch/carb, my dietician said that I could substitue the dressing for my fruit serving. So I would be allowed 1 serving of stuffing (1/3 cup) instead of a serving of fruits for this meal.
Can't have the peas with the rice, so I would recomend keeping the rice and eating your recomended serving of rice (1/3 c is 1 serving for a startch) and bake some dark green veggies in the oven, I would choose zuciini and onions, maybe a carrot - 1/2 cup cooked veggies is one serving of veggies or 1 cup raw. (I am supposed to have 2 sservings of veggies for dinner. That means 1 cup cooked veggies or 2 cups raw veggies for me.)
These are some pictures that my mom took to help me make it the first time ... the diretions were a bit too confusing so maybe these pictures will help you too!



No comments: